jueves, 14 de julio de 2011

Dia 45: Harry Potter & Reina Sofia

I'm writing this blog entry about a week after it happened (but shhh... don't tell anybody!)...

Between classes my Business Spanish class took a field trip to a little bakery with amazing croissants filled with nata (whipped cream, but so much creamier) and drizzled in chocolate. YUM. (We tried to go back there today, 21/7, but it was no where to be seen!! Not even the facade of the bakery was anywhere... it's like we were in Harry Potter and it just VANISHED - POOF!) o_O


Later on was the field trip to Reina Sofia with Ernesto. I got to see Guernica and a lot of Dali art. Exciting? That might be an overstatement... I just felt a little out of it, I suppose. On the train ride into Madrid, Gretchen and I were trying to figure out the meaning of our poem (we were given a poem to interpret and then had to find a piece of art in the museum we felt best represented the sentiments of the poem). Our poem?

EL ALBA DENOMINADORA
    A embestidas suaves y rosas, la madrugada te iba poniendo nombres:
Sueño equivocado, Ángel sin salida, Mentira de lluvia en bosque.
    Al lindero de mi alma, que recuerda los ríos,
indecisa, dudó, inmóvil:
¿Vertida estrella, Confusa luz en llanto, Cristal sin voces?
    No.
Error de nieve en agua, tu nombre.

Translation? We had NO idea what it meant. We sat next to Ernesto on the train and being the snotty butt I am told him that although I wasn't sure at first what it was about, I was certain that I'd discovered its true meaning: that it was a poem about the horcrux from the last book in the Harry Potter series. I spoke very seriously and Ernesto took a moment to process this information and then began, "Efectivamente... como se puede ver, hay siete lineas, como los siete libros... vamos a ver:" He then went on to decipher each line and compare it to its corresponding Harry Potter book! It was pretty ingenious and the best part was how we both spoke of it in such a serious, pensive and erudite manner.

A few girls were listening in on our conversation and reflection (all in Spanish, of course), and after he was done, one girl exclaimed, "Oh. My. God. I had NO idea the Harry Potter saga was based on this one poem!!! How cool! Actually, I didn't even know JK Rowling knew Spanish!! Damn!"

Ernesto stared at me. I stared at Ernesto. We gave each other sly smiles and nodded our heads before Ernesto informed the girl that "por supuesto no - solo era una tonteria; una broma." >_< HAHAHA.


In the museum, as part of our project, Gretchen and I picked the strangest piece we could find to represent this strange, strange poem. It was a mentronome that actually went back and forth, with the eye on it seeming to open and close as it ticked back and forth. It was in a random hallway and perfectly out of view of the other groups who just chose normal paintings ( ...and, one who chose the exit sign... o_O Points for an ATTEMPT at thinking outside of the box... but not quite...) During our presentation people walked by exclaiming, "Oh, look! A tour!" and proceeded to listen to my analysis of the object. Que verguenza. >_<

Additionally wonderfully, while giving our presentation, the eye almost knocked me over and hit me in the head - Ernesto deemed this moment to be titled something along the lines of, "When art Strikes Back." LOL.

At some point towards the end of the tour I lost the group so opted to make a run for it. Hee hee. I met up with L to hop the bus back home with her and pick up a few necessitites she'd purchased for me as I hadn't had time to go on a search for them all week long. Yay for strawberry toothpaste and spray on deodorant that is surprisingly wonderful, but makes your armpits look like they're snowing for the first five minutes after you spray it on. LOL. How sweet of her to get them for me on her break, though!! :) <3 Thanks, L!!

XOXO
Jet-set Cupcake

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario