domingo, 7 de agosto de 2011

Day 67: Amalfi, Pompeii & Churrascaria

After my usual hearty breakfast of cinnamon buns with extra brown sugar on top, scrambled eggs, bacon and OJ, it was off to the bus for our trip in Naples! First stop? The Amalfi Coast!!! <3 I ADORE the Amalfi Coast - it's just so blissfully gorgeous. The winding roads high, high up on the lush cliffs, the perfectly clear sea below, the brightly colored flowers and the quaintness of each little village.... mmmmm happiness!



Our tour guide took us to the main village of Amalfi and I got a few little things for my favorite people and a postcard of Amalfi at sunset, which I plan on framing. :) Next it was off to a really fancy lunch overlooking the Mediterranean. It reminded me of the meals we had in Amalfi when I was there in 2003 - blissful views with pants-wetting conversations... not that I wet my pants, but it just made me reminiscent. Haha.
After lunch it was off to Sam's destination of the trip: Pompeii. While Pompeii in general is very fascinating, I gotta say my initial introduction to it last time was a lot more attention-grabbing. Upon walking into Pompeii when I was 14, a person had just died of heatstroke in the middle of one of the old buildings. They'd placed a sheet over the person, but it still looked oddly apt considering the surroundings. This visit, however, did not include any recently deceased individuals (phew).

I think I was so intregued by this person's death on my last trip that I failed to hear some of the interesting facts of Pompeii - like that the streets often had water in them, so they had high stepping stones that carriages could still go through so that you could cross streets even when they were wet; that there were over 40 bakeries in the city; that there is still at least 25% of Pomepii buried under ash that has yet to be excavated; and that three-somes were on the menu in the brothel (but only 2 guy, 1 girl ones as far as I could tell).
 POMPEII

I also didn't recall seeing the molds of some of the deceased people (and dog!) like I saw this time. It was really freaky to see their bones and teeth all while they were in positions of asphyxiation. :-/ How awful.


By the end of the day's tours, we were more than pooped and went back to the ship for a relaxing night filled with Brazilian BBQ at world's only Churrascaria on a cruise liner! YUMMY!!! Pao de queijo, fried 'naners and enough steak to feed me for a month... DE-LICIOUS!

All in all, a fun but tiring day.
XOXO
Jet-set Cupcake

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario