lunes, 22 de agosto de 2011

Day 77: Sushi, Jellies and Soccer!

After a five hour bus ride without much deep sleep, a day of exploring a new city and a late night at the fair, I was poised to sleep Sunday away. Sergio, however, had different plans for me. Being awoken in the late morning by a knock on the door and a guy's voice telling me gently to please wake up already was an amusing way to start my day!

A shower, some horchata and a mini eternity of waiting for three sisters to get ready, we were off to the beaches of Costa del Sol in Marbella!!!

Ever since I can remember, when somebody would ask me, "If you could travel anywhere in the world, where would you go?" my answer was always immediate and resolute: "Costa del Sol!" Traveling to Europe? Getting sun-kissed on Mediterranean beaches? Copious amounts of the Spanish language everywhere I turned? "Yes, pllllleeeeeaaaassseeee!!!"

On the drive there I felt like I was a completely blissful fantasy: here I was, in the back of a car with the music blaring on the way to sun bathe on the beaches of Costa del Sol -- seriously?! This was more than a dream come true. Damn.

The beach was so gorgeous and the water felt so nice with the 100 + degree sunshine! *Bliss*


Eventually we got hungry, and considering our surroundings, L and I had the exact same thought: what better meal for the beach than SUSHI?! After L's *irrationality* at the supermarket subsided into an honest apology, I was ready for my sushi, gazpacho and shandy and parked myself on my beach towel to enjoy the feast. Yummmmmmy! :)


I'd been telling everyone all day that I would not go very deep into the water because I was absolutely petrified of fish and all sea life in general. Everybody laughed at me and ridiculed me but I stayed firm on my belief: sea life and human beings do not mix well. The end. So when L said she wanted to go take a swim out a little ways, I wished her well and tuned out to my iPod and flopped on my belly to work on my unfortunate shorts tan I'd accidentally gotten on the cruise.

When I opened my eyes a little while later, L was talking to Sergio in a really animated way and ran off to the lifeguard. I turned off my iPod and looked around, bewildered. What was going on...? When L came back to our towel camp all she had to do was show me and I knew. While she was out in the sea she'd been stung but tiny, invisible and evil JELLYFISH. Bastards. UGH. They got her right below the boob and on the back of her left leg. :( I felt so guilty for not watching her when she went out for her swim and wanted to go pay those damn jellyfish back for what they'd done - but, like I said, sea life petrifies me and I was not near brave enough to retaliate on those little mofo's. Poor L and her jellies... :-/


When we all got home it was time for a very serious Spanish night in. Cheese, thinly sliced meats, Martini and football (i.e. "soccer") - Barcelona vs. Madrid. Understanding the international obsession with soccer is a little tricky for the average American to understand. Sure, we have the NFL and college football and basketball and sometimes hockey... and sure, some people get REALLY into it (*coughgreenbaypackerfanscough*)... but it's nothing like the obsessive and passionate love of soccer. NOTHING compares. Except, maybe, for really really zealous religious people. Haha! It's really endearing though once you get sucked into it, too! ;) Go Cruziero and Real Madrid!!! ^_^


Overall it was a nice day at the beach and a nice Spaniard way to end the night. :) Success!

XOXO
Jet-set Cupcake

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario