miércoles, 22 de junio de 2011

Day 24: Missed the Bus and FrankenFish

I slept for three hours last night, so I guess it should have come as no surprise that I missed the bus (for the first time ever!) this morning. A normal human being would have been upset. A normal human being would say to themselves, ¨This is BS. It´s about a hundred degrees outside and it´s only 8:40 am. I´m wearing my new, yellow, uncomfortable shoes and am in no state to walk 40 minutes to school. I´m going to be late and look like an awful human being. UGH.¨

But, of course, I am no normal human being and instead thought to myself, ¨Haha. Oh jeeze louise. Change of plans guys. Just KIDDING about arriving to class on time. Maybe walking 40 minutes will wake me up a little and I won´t fall asleep in class, prompting my teacher to ask every day after break if one of his students has died (he seriously says that; it´s hilarious). Might as well write the fellow a little inverted haiku to express my current situation. Gotta make sure he realizes I truly enjoy his class and am not showing up 20 minutes late because I don´t appreciate how adorable he is and how much he teaches, but rather because life decided a bus wasn´t in my plans for the morning.¨

Oh, Perspective. Such a clever little friend that hardly anybody ever seems to employ to their sanguine advantage.


Upon giving my teacher my inverted haiku he giggled and said it was wonderful. Only, he meant it. He immediately started counting the syllables on his fingers to see if I'd followed the structure correctly and then promptly gave me a suggestion as to how to alter the first line to make it flow better. Oh little Ernesto, always being so cute. As the second half of class began, I quickly realized we were about to learn about sestinas (only my FAVORITE form of poetry) and the sestina he had on the board as an example? By Neil Gaiman!! Wth?! I squealed with Delight as I realized how awesome this second half of class was about to be, and Ernesto giggled at me and asked if I wouldn't like to teach the class about the structure of sestinas. Adorable. We went on to read a poem about the morning after a homosexual one-night stand and while the rest of the class seemed a little thrown by the poem, I embraced it as uniquely real and was intrigued that any university professor would choose such a poem to teach to his class. It was very different from what we usually read, but the juxtaposition of the classic morning-after-divine-lovemaking form coupled with the overly homosexual-i-just-met-you-drunk-last-night-who-are-you theme was oddly refreshing from the dulcet and overly-passionate straight love poetry we've seen thus far (minus Becquer - he's just the sh*t - for any of you that wanna get crazy and read the most awesome "You broke up with me and you think you're so great now, but you just wait until you never find anybody who will love you and adore you and worship you like i did ever, ever again; you'll soon realize you're just a huge, selfish turd-muffin. Suck an egg, puta." poetry, lemme link you).

Right after poetry class Ernesto asked me if it would be alright if he posted my haiku on his facebook (of course, giving the credit to you). Hahaha. How funny. A real life, published poet asking ME to put my silly haiku on his facebook. At least it seems I made the man a happy little clam for the day.

A few hours later and one more art class complete ("Mas cosas! Fijais! Chicos y Chicas! My dear estudents!" - how can you NOT love little gay professor man!!??), I went to find the lady in charge of the masters program here, but as she was out "having a coffee," I instead ran into Ernesto again, while discussing the program over with my director, Cristina. Upon hearing of my interest in the Master's program, Ernesto gleefully proclaimed he would be more than happy to write me a letter of recommendation to secure me a spot in the program. Cristina said she would write one, as well. Who knew you could get people to bat for you in only three weeks - I swear Hooters taught me a lot about life, and this is one of those times I see it. Before last fall I never would have been ballsy enough to be like, "Hey! Who wants to help me get into some crazy program at the last minute?! You do! 'Cause you like me! Yay!" but instead would have probably considered giving up the opportunity, siting myself as just "another bother" who should try not to disrupt others' existences.

Comida with the family, Deu sleeping in front of my fan and a walk around Alcala with L to find these special trees but walking in circles and never actually finding them ensued... but nothing too exciting to write another small novel about... EXCEPT for these FrankenFish (Fish seemingly attempted to have been brought back to life in a miserable failure do to confusion of what is a fish and what is a bowl of pasta) I was more or less forced into trying...
 FrankenFish in the Pan ... FrankenFish on a plate with a refreshing glass of Gazpacho. :)

 Chelsea is scared of FrankenFish. The end.

Those were pretty epic. Basically it's processed fish meet jumbled together in what looks like slimy fish pasta. It's perhaps one of the strangest foods you'll ever see and be super disturbed by, but then try it and realize it's pretty bland and harmless. But for real - I felt like I was on an episode of Fear Factor for my first few bites... LOL.

In all, my day was ducky, thanks to my wacky perspective and crazy ideas. Sometimes I truly <3 being strange little me. All I wanted to do was find a way to make Ernesto feel appreciated for the cute play he put on for us and the wonderful teaching he does everyday, and I think my silly 19 syllable poem might have actually accomplished just that! <3

XOXO
Jet-set Cupcake

3 comentarios:

  1. Pretty much the coolest haiku I've ever read.
    Pretty sure it's not even the right syllabic structure, but that doesn't keep it from being AWESOME.

    So awesome.
    So...damn...awesome.

    Gonna read the "suck an egg, puta" poem now, because it sounds badass!

    ResponderEliminar
  2. Yeah it was an inverted haiku to symbolically demonstrate the complete ¨fracaso¨of the morning, Woody.

    Hahahaha... Jaclyn, FrankenFish indeed = :(

    ResponderEliminar