jueves, 30 de junio de 2011

Day 32: Exploring & History of Spain in 70 Minutes

As Wednesday was the last day of June classes, I had Thursday to myself to do whatever. I got all sorts of dressed up in my cutest dress, did my make up and set out for Madrid. :) Sometimes a girl just has to feel chic after a week of grungy studying and strees.


First item of business, a trip to the US Embassy to set up an appointment to begin my visa process. The guards were very imposing but quite sweet once they figured out I was American. How adorable that it took them five minutes to ask, ¨Oh, espera! Ud. es Americana?!¨ Apparently Americans are treated like celebrities at the US Embassy because in a matter of minutes I had an appointment for the next morning. Yay!

As a personal reward for going to the Embassy and starting the process when it seemed to overwhelming to even begin, I went to Starbucks. Starbucks barristas are just as cute and gay seeming in Madrid as they are in America. Does America have the lemon and passion fruit tea frappacino? 'Cause it's pretty dank. Just say'n.

 
I was thinking to myself on the way to Madrid, "Gee... I could really use a nice, roomy fake Louis Vuitton with this outfit..." and then *pop* there in the Metro station is a little man selling fake Louis Vuittons! I totally haggled with him and got it for WAY cheaper than I´d imagined.


Next it was off to Chueca to see how Orgullo preparations were progressing. I can honestly say I´ve never seen so many rainbows in my life!!

L told me about a store here called Berksha. Awful idea to tell me about it. It´s like Forever 21 meets PINK... >_< BAD. I managed to only get one pair of shorts but still... jeeze louise. In addition to these shorts I got a new, very ¨Spanish¨ outfit that I´m planning on wearing Friday. Now that ít´s Rebajas (summer sales), I feel it´s okay to get a few outfits so that I don´t keep wearing the same seven, bland things. I don´t know why I decided only to bring one pair of jean shorts and a few blah tank tops, but jeeze louise. I need to get back to having a least a little bit of style!


After my mini shopping adventure it was off to SOL to meet L to go to Ernesto´s play, ¨The History of Spain in 70 Minutes.¨ We arrived late because I´d forgotten to eat all day so we stopped for a Caesar salad (they´re funny tasting here, but yummy nonetheless). Thank goodness I´d stopped at the theater earlier in the day to scope out its location and inquire about when I could buy tickets. The two guys recognized me and told me to hurry up becuase it was starting! They were very sweet about it, though. I´m starting to figure out that being American is not a bad thing here, but something that is looked upon as an endearing quality. What a surprise. o_O

Anyway, the play was hilarious. Of course, I didn´t understand all of it, but the parts I did get were amusing and made me giggle uncontrolably. It´s so cute to see my Professor acting in a play that he wrote and directed... especially the scenes overtly ridiculous! Also, watching the play made me realize that I have a pretty decent basic command over the history of Spain. Between Spanish 223 (EWW), History of Art and Poetry classes, I think I might be slightly more knowledgable about Spanish history than American??

Oh dear... Maybe Ernesto´s next work could be the History of America in 70 Minutes (though, maybe he wouldn´t need that long... considering Spanish history goes back to 15,000 BC and American goes back to 1492 ish).

If you speak any Spanish at all, or just want to be confused but amused, check the link for the play L and I went to tonight. My Poetry teacher, Ernesto, wrote it, directed it and acted in it, so naturally I HAD to see it and it turned out to be HILARIOUS. ^_^ WOO! Link me!

XOXO
Jet-set Cupcake

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario